This article applies to:
E-Prime is unable to install the Port Driver prerequisite, which causes the wizard to be interrupted before E-Prime installation can be completed.
The "Unable to Install PST Port Driver" error occurs because of one of the following reasons:
- A prior installation of E-Prime was partially removed.
- An installation of E-Prime was interrupted which results in a prtdrv.sys file being written to the drivers subfolder within the System32 folder.
- E-Prime is unable to write to the System32 folder to install prtdrv.sys due to a lack of elevated permissions or common security restrictions.
The Port Driver is one of several prerequisites needed to install E-Prime. A successful installation of the Port Driver is needed to utilize any port communication in E-Prime.
Workaround 1 requires you to manually delete any pre-existing prtdrv.sys in the System32 folder and attempt installation again with full Administrator privileges.
The prtdrv.sys can be found by opening Windows Explorer and navigating to This PC > Local Disc (this is typically the C: drive) > Windows > System32 > drivers. Delete prtdrv.sys if it is found and run the installer again.
NOTE: Attempt workaround 2 if workaround 1 does not resolve the error.
Workaround 2 involves installing the other prerequisites independently and utilizing the Custom - No Drivers installation option. Because no drivers are installed using this method, the Chronos driver, SR Box driver (only needed on 32-bit systems; located in the Subject Station subfolder) and HASP driver need to be separately installed.
1) Install the E-Prime prerequisites with full Administrator privileges from the article below that matches your version of E-Prime:
- INSTALL: E-Prime 3.0 Prerequisites required for Minimal (download) installation 
- INSTALL: E-Prime 2.0 Prerequisites required for Minimal (download) installation 
2) Reboot the machine after all prerequisites are installed.
3) Run setup.exe (lowercase) from the "E-Prime" installation subfolder with full Administrator privileges to perform a Custom installation:
Note that, if using the downloaded installation package from the Support site, the contents of the self-executing .zip archive need to be extracted using ZIP extraction software such as 7-zip or WinRAR to access setup.exe within the "E-Prime" installation folder.
4) Navigate through the installation wizard to the "Setup Type" screen and select the Custom option:
5) Select the dropdown menu for the Drivers node and select "This feature will not be available":
6) Finish the E-Prime installation.
7) Run the attached PortDriverInstaller.exe with full Administrator privileges.
NOTE: If either of these workarounds do not allow the E-Prime installation to proceed past this error or the Port device you wish to use is still not working, contact PST Product Services & Support. Submit the resulting diagnostic log file on the Desktop that was created by the PortDriverInstaller.exe to PST Product Service & Support.